"LET THERE BE LIGHT" Ministries
THE HEAVENLY SANCTUARY, part 3 quotes
1) When did our High Priest Jesus Christ begin this work of Atonement and cleansing for us and the heavenly Sanctuary?
“Unto two thousand and three hundred days, then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.” Daniel 8:14.
This verse is a prophecy dealing with a specific amount of time. Are these a literal 2300 days?
“And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcases be wasted in the wilderness. After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.” Numbers 14:33-34.
“Lie thou also upon thy left side, and lay the iniquity of the house of Israel upon it: according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon it thou shalt bear their iniquity. For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel. And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year.” Ezekiel 4:4-6.
These verses reveal that when a Bible prophecy mentions a specific amount of time other than in years, then these are not literal days, or weeks, or months, but are actually prophetic time – which is “each day for a year”. This means that these 2300 days of the prophetic time mentioned in Daniel 8:14 actually mean 2300 years of literal time!
“And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king's business; and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.” Daniel 8:27.
2) “Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city...to anoint the most Holy. Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks...And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself...And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.” Daniel 9:24-27.
As this prophecy deals with 70 weeks of time, and there are 7 days in each week, then 70 weeks times 7 days a week would equal 490 days. Since this is a Bible prophecy dealing with specific time, then we know that these are not literal weeks and days, but each day equals one literal year. So 70 weeks or 490 literal years are “determined” upon the Israelites and their capital city of Jerusalem, as well as dealing with events connected with the most Holy Messiah.
The Hebrew word used for “determined” is “chathak”, and it translates and means “to cut off, to determine” (Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance, word #2852). This is the only time this particular word is used anywhere in the entire Bible, so it can only mean to cut off or determine. These 490 years are devoted towards accomplishing all these things specifically dealing with the Israelites, Jerusalem and the Messiah, and that these years are determined or are cut off from something that had to be larger in size.
Since this is dealing with prophetic time, then these 490 years had to be cut off from a larger time prophecy. And the only prophecy in the Scriptures within this same time frame dealing with the Messiah that is larger than 490 years, is this 2300 year prophecy!
When did the command to restore and to built Jerusalem occur on so that we can then know the beginning date for the 70 weeks or the 490 year prophecy as well as for the 2300 year prophecy?
History reveals that the decree to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem occurred in the fall of 457 B.C. (see "The Commandment to Restore and to Build Jerusalem", by Ken Lebrun, at http://www.patmospapers.com/daniel/457.htm, accessed 6-6-13; also United Church of God’s Bible Commentary, under The Decree of Artaxerxes (Ezra 7), at http://bible.ucg.org/bible-commentary/Ezra/Ezra-sent-to-Jerusalem-by-Artaxerxes'-decree/default.aspx, accessed 6-6-13). This means that 457 B.C. is the starting point for both the 70 weeks or 490 prophetic days or literal years, as well as the 2300 day/year prophecy.
457 B.C., which was the year when the command went forth to rebuild Jerusalem and the Jews began by rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem, plus “seven weeks” (or 49 days/years) would bring us down through history to the time when the temple was completely rebuilt – which occurred in 408 B.C. Then “threescore and two” or 62 more weeks (or 434 days/years) would bring us down through history “unto the Messiah the Prince” when Christ was anointed by the Holy Spirit at His baptism – which was in 27 A.D. (see Matthew 3:13-17; Luke 4:17-21).
(To understand what the various section numbers mean, please see our Prophecy Chart page)
3) 69 of these 70 weeks or 483 years have brought us down to the time when Jesus Christ was anointed and began His public ministry in the fall of 27 A.D. Just one last week of 7 years remained. It was “in the midst of the week” of this last 7 year period, or 3 ½ years after the Christ was anointed, that the Messiah was to “be cut off”. Jesus Christ was indeed cut off or crucified for our sins in the Spring of 31 A.D. – just 3 ½ years after His baptism and public ministry began. But this prophetic 70 week or 490 year period was not yet fulfilled, because there was still 3 ½ years remaining that was specifically dealing with the Israelites and Jerusalem.
After the death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ in 31 A.D., and with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, the gospel of the kingdom of God spread like wild-fire among all the Jewish believers throughout the middle-east, and many were converted to the Christian faith. But after 3 ½ years of watching more and more of their Jewish brethren embrace Jesus Christ and abandon the old covenant rituals and ceremonial laws, many of the non-believing Jews grew more and more frustrated and then realized that something drastic had to be done in order to try and stop the spreading of the gospel. Some of these non-believing Jews got into a heated discussion with a follower of Christ named Stephen, who was “a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost” (Acts 6:5), and they realized that “they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake” (Acts 6:10), “they stirred up the people, and the elders, and the scribes, and came upon him, and caught him, and brought him to the council” (Acts 6:12) of the church leadership at Jerusalem. After these non-believing church leaders heard the mighty arguments of truth that Stephen brought to them about the Lord Jesus Christ truly being the Messiah and the Son of God, they finally reached a point in which they could not take it any more. Then in a mad frenzy “they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him” to death (Acts 7:57-58).
4) The stoning of Stephen to death occurred in the fall of 34 A.D., or exactly 3 ½ years after Christ was crucified, and this act of the unbelieving Jewish leaders occurred at the very end of this 70 week/490 year prophecy that had been specifically devoted to the Jewish people and Jerusalem. Since these Jewish church leadership had rejected and killed Christ, had also killed Stephen and were bent on persecuting and killing all other followers of Christ, and since their allotted time of 490 years had also come to an end, then the rest of this prophecy of Daniel 9:27 would also be fulfilled:
“and for the overspreading of abominations he [Christ] shall make it [Jerusalem] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate”.
After the stoning of Stephen occurred and the 490 year prophecy came to an end in 34 A.D., the Jewish nation and church at Jerusalem continued to grow more corrupt and abominable until it was finally destroyed under the Roman general Titus and made completely desolate in 70 A.D., and in the process over 1,000,000 unbelieving Jews lost their lives along with their beloved church and city. This plainly revealed that the kingdom of God, as well as His divine presence and favor, had already been removed far away from ever being connected with the corrupt Jewish nation and church again, and that God had now given it instead to the Gentiles (see Acts 7, 8:1-8, 18:6)!
“Therefore say I [Jesus] unto you [Jewish church leaders], The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.” Matthew 21:43.
“And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God. But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming. Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.” Acts 13:44-48.
5) Even though the 490 year prophecy had been fulfilled, yet the 2300 day/year prophecy was not yet ended. It had began in the fall of 457 B.C., and its first 490 years had now been fulfilled which brought us down to 34 A.D. But there were still 1810 years remaining before this 2300 year prophecy would be fulfilled and Christ could begin cleansing the heavenly Sanctuary. So to discover when the 2300 day/year prophecy would end and the ministration of Christ would begin in the Second Apartment to cleanse the heavenly Sanctuary from all sin, all we have to do is to add 1810 years on to 34 A.D., and this would bring us down to the fall of the year 1844.
This clearly shows us that the 2300 year prophecy ended in the fall of the year 1844 – specifically on October 22, 1844. This then meant that on October 22, 1844 God the Father, Jesus Christ and the 24 human elders all ceased their work in the First Apartment of the heavenly Sanctuary, then God and Christ got into their own particular chariots and traveled into the Most Holy Place, and Jesus Christ then began to perform His High Priestly work of Atonement in order to cleanse the Sanctuary and His true followers from all sin. Thus in 1844 Christ closed the door (or entrance veil) of the First Apartment, and then opened the door (or entrance veil) into the Second Apartment of the heavenly Sanctuary to begin the work of Atonement (see Revelation 3:7, 11:19).
This means that God's followers have been living for some 175 some years in the time period when our High Priest Jesus Christ has been ministering before the Almighty in the Second Apartment of the heavenly Sanctuary making an atonement for all the confessed and forsaken sins of His people, which first occurs for the dead (see Revelation 11:18), and then occurs for the living (see Ezekiel 9:1-6; Revelation 22:11).
6) Christ did not begin His atoning work until the year 1844. This means that the atonement for sin could not have been accomplished or completed by Christ when He was on the earth and died on the cross as many believe!
“Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man. For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things...” Hebrews 8:1-5.
These verses reveal that while Christ was living on this earth, He was not doing so as a priest. It takes a priest in order to bring the shed blood of the innocent sacrificed victim within the Sanctuary, and it also takes the High Priest to make an atonement before God and cleanse the Sanctuary. But since Christ was not a priest when He was living on this earth, then this conclusively proves that there was no way that Christ could have made any atonement for our sins on the cross!
While on this earth Christ was living as the Lamb of God, and not as our High Priest. While living on this earth Christ was doing so as the innocent substitute Victim that would voluntarily allowed itself to be sacrificed and its blood spilled in order to provide a future atonement for sin, but not to provide an instant atonement when its blood was spilled! After providing a complete and perfect sacrifice for sin then Christ rose from the dead, ascended to heaven, and then entered into the heavenly Sanctuary as our High Priest so that He could present before God His own spilled blood in our behalf, and when the time came in 1844 then He began to make an atonement for sin in the Second Apartment of the heavenly Sanctuary. This means that the atonement for sin could not have been accomplished or completed on the cross, but could only begin after Christ ascended to heaven and began His ministerial work in the Most Holy Place of the heavenly Sanctuary. Christ’s sacrifice and spilled blood that was necessary for the atonement to afterwards occur did indeed take place and was completed once for all on the cross, but the atonement itself did not occur at that time.
7) Are you personally ready for your name and character to come up in review before God in this time of investigative judgment and Atonement? Are you ready now with all your sins confessed, forgiven, and covered by the blood of Jesus Christ? Are you ready now for Christ to finish His work of atonement for you at any moment? Are you prepared now for Christ to come to reward all those with eternal life who have proved themselves faithful to Him and His truth under any and all circumstances?
“...when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.” Luke 21:31-36.
“Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.” Mark 13:12-13.