"LET THERE BE LIGHT" Ministries
HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE, part 5 quotes
1) “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15.
2) There are 8 main methods of studying the Bible which have proven themselves to be of the greatest benefit:
#1 - The Comparative Method of Bible Study.
#2 - The Analytical Method of Bible Study.
#3 - The Synthetic Study of the Bible.
#4 - The Prophetic Study of the Bible.
#5 - Topical or Thematic Study of the Bible.
#6 - Historical Study of the Bible.
#7 - Bible Study by Books.
#8 - the Sword Method of Bible Study
3) Study Method #4 - The Prophetic Study of the Bible.
This Prophetic Study method involves locating a passage of Scripture that is prophetic in nature, and then trying to understand its meaning, or what historical events it is depicting, or if it is yet to be fulfilled.
4) “And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit. And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit. And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment [was] as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man. And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them. And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as [the teeth] of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months. And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon. One woe is past; and, behold, there come two woes more hereafter.
“And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God, Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates. And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men. And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them. And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone. By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths. For their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt. And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.” Revelation 9:1-21.
5) Prophetic time does not equal literal time.
“After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.” Numbers 14:34.
“And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year.” Ezekiel 4:6.
These verses reveal that each prophetic day would equal 1 literal year of time. The Jewish calendar used during the time of Moses and Ezekiel did not contain a year of 365 days, but a year of only 360 days, where each of the 12 months contained only 30 days each.
The 5th Trumpet reveals that after a particular king arises then there will be 5 prophetic months of time that would occur, which equals 150 days or 150 literal years.
The 6th Trumpet brings out that after these 150 years are ended, another prophetic time period of an hour, day, month and a year was to occur. 1 prophetic year of 360 days would equal 360 literal years; a prophetic month would equal 30 literal years; a prophetic day would equal 1 year, and a prophetic hour, being 1/24th of a day, would equal 15 days. Adding all these amounts totals 391 years and 15 days that this next power was to rule.
These 2 prophecies in Revelation 9 reveals 2 successive periods of time in which 2 types of ruling powers are seen, the first lasting 150 years, and the next lasting for 391 years and 15 days. All we now have to do is to research into historical records and find if there is any king or power or nation that fits into both of these successive time periods.
6) Regarding the prophecy of the 5th Trumpet: There was a ruling Caliph named Othman who was the first Islamic man in over 600 years of battling with Christians in Eastern Europe that finally was able to unite the various ruling tribes and factions within Mohammedanism into a single organized governmental power, and it was from him that the Ottoman Empire got its name. Othman, then as a king would, led his Turkish army to successfully attack the Greek/Byzantine Empire in order to try and eliminate these infidels and take over their realm.
"lt was on the 27th day of July, in the year 1299 the Christian era, that Othman first invaded the territory of Nicomedia, and the singular accuracy of the date seems to disclose some foresight of the rapid and destructive growth of the monster." Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Chapter 64, par. 14, by Edward Gibbon.
But Othman was unable to fully conquer the Christian Greeks/Byzantines during his lifetime. But his followers continued on with his conquering plans, which allowed them to capture the city of Constantinople and kill its Emperor Constantine XI on July 27, 1449. Thus from the time that Othman first united the Turks into a governmental and military power until they had finally conquered Constantinople, exactly 150 years had occurred! This then fulfilled the time period brought out in the 5th Trumpet or the first woe.
7) The 6th Trumpet reveals that after the 5th Trumpet was fulfilled, then another power was to rule for 391 years and 15 days.
The day after Constantinople was captured and its emperor killed, Constantinople was made the capital city of the Ottoman Empire and now Turkish forces continued their military conquests and the spreading of Islam far and wide. This destruction of all who resisted Mohammedanism lasted until Turkish independence was surrendered by the sultan of Turkey and given into the hands of Christian powers, those being England, Russia, Austria, and Prussia. These 4 Christian powers then began settling the difficulties between the non-Christian Turkish Sultan and Mehemet Ali of Egypt. This surrender of Turkish independence and authority occurred on August 11, 1840.
As the independent Turkish Empire began on July 27, 1449 and then lasted until August 11, 1840, their reign totals exactly 391 years and 15 days! This then fulfilled the time period brought out in the 6th Trumpet or the second woe.
8) The star falling from heaven would represent the false prophet Mohammad. The bottomless pit or a land of waste would represent the wasteland of Arabia from which Mohammedanism first arose. The spreading of the error and false doctrine of Islam would represent the cloud of locusts arising out of the smoke and spreading over the land to hurt and torture mankind, first with the Saracens and then later with the Turks.
The four angels that were bound in the great river Euphrates that were to be later loosed, would refer to the four great sultanies that composed the Mohammedan power at that time, being the sultanies of Bagdad, Damascus, Iconium, and Aleppo, which unitedly swept away the last stronghold of the Empire of Rome.
The Turks on horseback wore yellow turbans and iron breastplates, they also had long hair, and were among the first to use firearms in battle. The sight of these fierce warriors would then fit the description of locusts having crowns of yellow gold, with hair like women, but having a mans face, and appearing like fire, and of jacinth, and of brimstone. With their guns being fired from horseback, their gun barrels would be aimed directly in line with the horses' mouths. Thus the fire, brimstone and smoke of the gun-fire would appear as though issuing out of the mouths of the horses – just like what is described in the prophecy.